Reflections on Russian music
Dad Moscow rock. He has no right to be different. Two higher music education. Alternative VIA - castrated version of the big beat. Listening to the Bolshoi Theatre. Rebel. Crazy moss-covered patriot. The workbook 1967-68 years - the Donetsk Regional Philharmonic. "Russian Song" - from pagan rituals to the revolutionary march - the first significant album in Russian rock discography. Absolutely respectable composer. All these definitions, often with each other do not intersect - about one person. About Alexander Gradsky.
It was scary: what if does not come? I arrived. It was interesting: that of the program "From Verdi to blues"? "Brilliant" - decided the hall for three hours listening to the live music of a small man in a black coat with a mane of hair and a voice in three octaves, which owns Gradskij masterly. It has become clear: Donetsk Regional Philharmonic presented the city is not just a surprise, is not just a gift - she had brought a person who embodies the spirit of freedom. Freedom, independent of trends eras. Do not depend on "hemp cloth, leavened lawlessness" and "power zolotopogoniya". Freedom of expression. And so - a special thanks to the leadership of the Philharmonic, give me the opportunity to take Alexander Gradsky those interviewed-a-tete, or, as is now fashionable to say, exclusively. Having learned that the newspaper - in Russian, obviously delighted Gradskij .
- Alexander, you feel as if the father - the founder of the Moscow rock ...
- And you can not talk about the rock movement, if you do not remember the 60s-70s.
- Violent were times.
- But the rock we "started" after people heard "Beatles"?
- What else? Strictly speaking, it is all over the world, in my opinion, it was then started. But this was not the word - "rock." When playing "the Beatles' music called them" beat music ", or" big beat ".
- A Russian rock?
- Let us be more precise. Russian rock there.
- For me, Russian rock, Russian rock 'n' roll died, even before birth, somewhere in the late 70s. I will explain why. The first "urges" the first aspirations were in the field of music - like to learn new music instrumental, I wanted to compose. Lyrics - fine, but the main thing - to play well. At some point there was a division. I stayed in this direction, and almost all of the rock movement went in the direction Grebenshchikov and Makarevich - in the direction of the text. And not the good verses, and text as a way of self-expression.
- or social protest?
- Well, there was little protest. Indeed, in contrast to the whole fake that was on the stage, as opposed to simply a sincere statement of officialdom already possessed. And they were to some extent right. But then, people have tried to see and hear something new - and nothing has changed! Therefore, this music has remained adjectival to the slogan. It's my opinion. I am always engaged primarily in music, and when I needed quality poetry, I turned to classical literature. When learned to write poetry himself professionally, he began to sing their songs. A majority of the musicians froze. No development. If you're trying to develop a poetry only - no music - then this is the dialectic of form and content. You're looking for all the time, form, and it does not change. And you will notice that, and poured in the form of liquid stagnates. Or sour.
- Well, this "Western" understanding ...
- The fact that I write - it is not Western music, this universal human cultural approach to music. And as I - Russian and live here, my music - Russian music. I sing in Russian, I remain a Russian author.
- A "Russian song" - this is exactly what Russian, which we do not hear?
- This is Russian, which I read as its Russian. I was still studying at the conservatory (I graduated from the Gnessin Institute as an opera singer and studied with Khrennikov in the Conservatory as a composer). And I asked Anna Vasilyevna Rudneva - my teacher of folklore, can I do so with a Russian song? It turned out that the thing is if you truly keep the oral tradition of Russian songs. Criterion one: sincere - insincere, skillfully - clumsily, talent - untalented. It is YOU SO traktuesh this topic. But it is necessary to take on if you want to say something that no one has said to you. Or do you say better.
- A religion is not connected?
- Not necessarily. Russian culture had a lot more and to paganism. And the majority of Russian music and remained pagan. You listen to Rimsky-Korsakov!
- What do you want to tell the program "From Verdi to blues"?
- Music is one. No, in general, no genres. And there is no nation. I'm wondering now come to the people with different music. And classics, too different! "Lohengrin" by Wagner and Verdi - usually do not build programs.
- What are you going to do next?
- The main thing - to create in the Moscow musical theater. And I will teach people to sing. What do you wonder? Singing do not know how. And there is no incentive to be able to.
- But then you need sponsors for the theater ...
- Why? I have a person that I "move" and believes in me. This is the mayor of Moscow Yuri Luzhkov. I work with him. I - municipal official!
- Because you're being called "absolutely respectable composer"?
- I mean - formal? Well, it's probably another journalist who underpaid $ 100 ...